There is need for action
There is currently a gap in the Australian health care system. Young people with high care needs have limited choice when it comes to where they live and how their care needs are supported.
Young people deserve to live young, dignified and relevant lifestyles, regardless of their care needs. We believe significant change is required.
Youngcare has been working to form strong, strategic alliances at all levels of government and the health care sector to improve how the system currently operates.
Youngcare works with local, state and federal governments; and the sector to bring about national policy and systems changes so that every young person requiring appropriate care is receiving it.
Youngcare wholeheartedly supports the launch of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) and welcomes the changes with open arms. However, the lack of funding for capital works to build age appropriate housing continues to go unanswered.
If you need assistance with how the full roll out, expected in 2019-20, affects you please check your access to the scheme on the NDIS website. Alternatively, you can contact Youngcare Connect on 1800 844 727.
- That people with high care needs have the right to choice
- That aged care, as the only choice, is not appropriate
- That there should be housing choice for people with high care needs
- That there should be relevant and appropriate care models
- That the Federal and State Governments must address the issue though policy changes
- That young Australians with 24/7 care needs should have access to relevant information
For more information on our policy initiatives please contact Youngcare's General Manager Strategy & Research, Anna Cox on 07 3041 3400.